The Book of Kells - Trinity College Library, Trinity College, College Street , Dublin 2
The world renowned Book of Kells was written around the year 800 AD and is celebrated for its lavish decoration. The 680 pages of vellum in the manuscript contain the Latin texts of the Four Gospels. It was written around the year 800 AD by Irish monks, probably begun at a monastery in Iona, an island off the coast of Scotland Scotland then transpoted and finished at Kells, Co. Meath. It was later buried in the ground for fear of damage by the Vikings and after being eventually rediscovered it was deposited for safe keeping in Trinity College around 1653.
It has been on display in the Old Library at Trinity College Dublin from the mid 19th century til the present day, and attracts over 500,000 visitors per year. Since 1953 it has been bound in four volumes. Two volumes are on public view, one opened to display a major decorated page, and one to show two pages of script. The volumes are changed at regular intervals.
Trinity College Library is just around the corner from the Trinity City Hotel in Dublin City Centre. Why not plan your trip to Dublin by checking our latest special offers.
The Book of Kells, (folio 292r), circa 800, showing the lavishly decorated text that opens the Gospel of John
"KellsFol292rIncipJohn" by ??? - . Licensed under Public domain via Wikimedia Commons.